There are a few different ways to decaffeinate the humble coffee bean, but not all are created equal!
Our decaf blends are decaffeinated using the Swiss Water Process! This method only uses water, temperature and time to gently remove at least 97% of the caffeine from our sustainably sourced Colombian coffee bean, while preserving all the coffee's original characteristics.
This means you're getting the very best cup of decaf, free of chemicals or residual processing flavours and retaining most of the coffee's precious flavour and potent antioxidants. The lack of chemicals compared to the other methods also makes it a more earth-friendly option!
So how does it work?
- To begin the process of decaffeination, Green Coffee Beans are soaked in hot water. This causes the caffeine compound found in the bean to dissolve, and transfer into the water.
- The now decaffeinated Green Coffee Beans are set aside, and the water/caffeine solution becomes what we know as Green Coffee Extract.
- The Green Coffee Extract is then filtered through an activated carbon filter to remove the dissolved caffeine from the liquid, the caffeine stays captured within the filter and is disposed of.
- Fresh Green Coffee Beans are then added back into the decaffeinated Extract solution and the cycle continues on and on until the yield of required decaffeinated beans is fulfilled.
- Once the whole Green Coffee Beans have gone through the decaffeination process, they are roasting and ground as normal. We then add our powerful blend of vitamins, minerals, and superfoods, and Adrenal Decaf is born! ☕