For the muffins:
- 1 egg – vegan sub 1 chia/flax egg or your favourite egg replacement
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 1 Tablespoon of almond butter
- 1 Tablespoon of coconut oil, melted
- 2 Tablespoons of maple syrup
- 2 Tablespoons of monk fruit sweetener (or coconut sugar)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 1 cup almond meal
- 2 Tablespoons coconut flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon of ground ginger
- A pinch each of nutmeg, cardamom and cloves
- A pinch of salt
For the dark chocolate ganache frosting:
- 1/4 cup coconut (or regular) cream
- 1/4 cup dark chocolate
- 1/2 sachet of Beforeyouspeak Collagen Mocha or Performance OG
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla
- 1 pinch of salt
For the muffins:
- Preheat oven to 175°C (350°F)
- Line (or grease and flour) a 6 cup muffin tray with paper cases and set aside.
- In a medium-sized bowl place egg, vanilla, maple syrup, coconut oil and milk and whisk until well combined.
- Add almond flour, coconut flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, spices and stir to combine.
- Spoon into prepared muffin tray and bake for 12-15 mins until tops spring back when gently pressed and a toothpick has just a few crumbs attached when inserted into the centre.
- Allow to cool in the tray for a few minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
- While your cupcakes are cooling prepare the frosting.
- Melt chocolate by your preferred method – I like to do mine on the stove, double broiler style but a microwave will work just fine too.
- Add coffee, vanilla, salt & stir to combine.
- Add the coconut cream to your coffee-infused chocolate and stir until well combined.
- Allow to cool for a few minutes until it becomes spreadable – you can speed this up by popping it in the fridge or freezer for 5-10 minutes.
- Spread on to your muffins.
Makes 6 Muffins
Recipe by Emma Swanston (@emsswanston)