For the cookies
- 1 egg – or flax egg
- 1/2 cup of almond butter
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla
- 2 tablespoons of cacao powder
- 1/2 cup of monk fruit sweetener or coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1 sachet of Beforeyouspeak Collagen Mocha
- 1 pinch of salt
For the lava centre
- 1 block (10-12 squares) dark chocolate + extra for drizzling
Optional for serving
- Candy canes – crushed
- Place all ingredients apart from chocolate in to a small bowl and stir until smooth and well combined.
- Now comes the hard part – place your cookie dough in the freezer for 30 minutes to chill (or refrigerate for 1-2 hours or overnight ) DO NOT SKIP THIS STEP – this is what helps the cookies hold their shape while baking.
Once your dough has chilled and you’re ready to bake
- Preheat your oven to 175°C/350°F
- Line a baking tray with baking/parchment paper (or a silpat mat) and set aside.
- Take 1 heaped tablespoon of cookie dough.
- Flatten slightly in the palm of your hand.
- Place 1 square of chocolate in the centre of your cookie dough.
- Fold/roll the edges of your cookie dough up and around your piece of chocolate. It should look like a little ball.
- Place on to your prepared baking tray. Repeat until all cookie dough has been used. Leave 5-6cm between each cookie - they will spread!
- Bake for 6-8 minutes until the edges feel just set. Note – they will still be extremely soft. That’s what you want – trust me.
- DO NOT OVER BAKE – set them aside for 2-3 minutes to cool. They will be crispy on the outside and gooey, chocolate-filled on the inside.
Recipe by Emma Swanston (@emsswanston)