Intermittent Fasting (IF) is without doubt one of the hottest trends in the nutrition space at the moment, and judging by the amount of questions we get every day in relation to how BYS Coffee can be utilized during a fast, I thought I would take the opportunity to explore how it all works and whether or not you can still enjoy your daily hit of our golden goodness while fasting.
From the outset, I did want to make it clear that the intention of this article is to neither advocate or detract from fasting itself or whether you should or shouldn’t follow it. I am of the opinion that people should experiment with all sorts of ways of eating and find what works best for YOU.
One thing that is evident, is that IF goes directly against some of the most common pieces of dietary advice we have been told over the past 30-40 years, such as:
“Breakfast is the most important meal of the day. You should never skip it”
“To keep your metabolism going, you will need to eat 6 mini meals a day.”
Of course, fasting isn’t exactly a ‘new thing’, quite the opposite. Humans have been fasting for as long we have record, and for a variety of reasons. Sometimes for religious reasons, other times fasting was necessary because there simply wasn’t enough food around.
These days, scientists and the wellness-obsessed, recognize that fasting can potentially boost health and longevity, and the science increasingly shows that intermittent fasting benefits you in a host of different ways. Here are a few documented benefits:
- Boosts weight loss
- Promotes cellular repair and autophagy (when your body consumes defective tissue in order to produce new parts)
- Reduces insulin resistance and protects against type 2 diabetes
- Promotes longevity
- Protects against neurodegenerative diseases such as Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s
- Improves memory and boosts brain function
- Makes cells more resilient
- Protects against chronic conditions like cancer, diabetes, and heart disease
- Keeps mitochondria strong, which fuels your body and keeps you young
Sounds pretty good right?
Let us now dive into whether or not BYS coffee will help or hinder your efforts.
Fasting purists will say that consuming anything during the fasted state breaks the fast.
However, depending on what you hope to achieve from fasting there are a variety of ways to ‘hack’ the fast to achieve a better outcome.
One of those is coffee, and I’m pleased to say that black coffee is fairly well accepted by most for consumption during a fast, because really who can go without coffee?
Not only is it just plain unacceptable to put yourself through the torture of going without coffee, there are also a number of benefits that coffee can provide to your fast.
- The effect of caffeine is better on an empty stomach. Win!
- Appetite suppression.
- Assists with metabolism.
- Improved cognitive function and focus.
- Improved insulin sensitivity and glucose tolerance.
- You won’t be a shit person to your friends, family or work colleagues.
- Contributes to DNA integrity.
- Reduced risk of Alzheimer’s, Parkinson’s, Type 2 Diabetes, Liver Disease.
- Great source of antioxidants.
- Coffee boosts dopamine levels and makes you feel like you have your life together.
But maybe the most important benefit for those looking to enhance the upside of a fasting protocol is coffee’s role in Autophagy. This is essentially where your cells will rid themselves of toxins, dead cell components and dysfunctional mitochondria – all these actions are necessary for cellular health and improved with coffee consumption!
Next up, how does MCT Oil affect the fasting state?
Keeping in mind the purist version of consuming nothing at all, on the other hand, you have the Keto/Bulletproof gang who will argue that pure fats do not spike insulin (a key indicator of being fasted), and it is insulin which stops fat burning. As such, pure fats provide additional fatty acids for fuel in a fatty-acid driven state, maintaining the fast.
Another view is that most fats require some sort of digestion and thus break the fast, while MCT oil, which does not require digestion, does not break the fast. Given that, you can then take advantage of the upside of consuming MCT’s, such as:
- MCT oil may support weight loss by increasing fullness, energy expenditure, ketone production and by improving your gut environment.
- Easily absorbed and transported throughout the body. It can be used as an instant source of energy or can be converted into ketones to fuel your brain.
- Improved brain function, which could have benefits for people with epilepsy, Alzheimer’s disease and autism.
- Overall, MCTs may have a variety of antimicrobial and anti-fungal effects.
- MCT oil may reduce heart disease risk factors such as weight, cholesterol and inflammation.
Last but definitely not least, we are onto the ace in the deck, that Golden Goodness, Turmeric.
In BYS – ONE, it isn’t just some random Turmeric though. We use a patented variety of the active Curcuminoids - Curcumin C3 Complex® combined with another patented ingredient, BioPerine® to increase absorption.
There are literally thousands of scientific papers written about this ingredient and how it really is more than just a spice you find in your favourite curry. A quick overview on Curcumin and its benefits:
- Curcumin C3 Complex® is an effective "Bioprotectant”, or an extremely potent antioxidant.
- Curcumin has been shown to be a COX-2 (Cyclooxygenase-2) inhibitor (Anti-inflammatory)
- Curcuminoids provide Immune support/Anti-tumour/Anti-viral/Anticancer effects
- Protects against Alzheimer’s disease/dementia and cardiovascular disease.
Again, in addition to all of those powerful benefits, for those undertaking various fasting protocols, one of the stand-out features of Curcumin while fasting is its potent effects on Autophagy – that important process your body under-takes to enhance your cellular health and longevity.
So there you have it, whether you believe in the benefits of fasting or not, I hope this helped provide some useful information for those of you who are participating or contemplating taking on any type of fasting protocol and looking to enhance some of the main benefits of the fast.
You can be confident that Beforeyouspeak ONE won't undo your efforts and should actually be something you include in your arsenal to achieve optimal results.